Friday, September 9, 2011

My Experience with TCS(Tata Consultancy services)

Hello Friends.
I am going to share my experience with TCS.TCS had to visit our college on 5-6th september,2011.The selection procedure had 3 rounds.
1)Aptitude test
2)Technical interview
3)HR interview
I prepared myself for aptitude test .I solved the previous TCS papers and followed R.S agarwal.It had to be done on 5th september.I was placed in the 4th group for the test.TCS aptitude test is a online test which consist of 35 questions which you have to solve in 80 mintues.Certainly negative marking is there.1/3 marks for the every wrong question would be deducted.So never try to attempt more and more questions because they need a quality rather than quantity.The test started at 3pm.Out of first 7 questions i could not attempt a single one.Out of 35 questions i just attempted 19 questions.Perhaps i was the only one who attempted just 19 questions but still i opted quality over the quantity.Only GOD knows how i was feeling in the test.Heartbeat was on the peak.Test wasn't going as per the expectations.So after the test for the results i was sure that i am out.Before the announcement of it I had declared it to my parents,friends that i would be fail in the aptitude test.Reluctantly i came back to home and even didn't think about the Technical/HR interview so didn't touch any technical stuff for the 2nd round.In the evening i was totally desperate and was talking with my friend and  was being console bye her.Then with in 10 mintues result declared out.With the grace of GOD I had done it.My name was in the list.I was in the cloud 9 then .I thanked to GOD.
It was proved that accuracy matter not the quantity.Next day i had the technical and HR interview.I went through the technical stuff that i had mentioned in my resume.Be prepare what you have written in resume because they ask more question from there.
Next day TCS team first gave the presentation.Then technical rounds started.Standing outside the interviewer's room,i was nervous,because it was the first interview in my life.With in mintues i got a call and i entered in the room.
Me:May i come in sir?
He:Yes .Come in.
Me:Good afternoon sir.
He: a very good afternoon amrit.
Never sit untill he/she allow for the same.
He:Tell something about yourself ?
Me: I gave a introduction.
He:which lanuage u know better?
Me:c++
He:Asked to write a program of prime number.
Me:I got confused but still i told him the logic.
He:which subject you know better?
Me:Operating system.
He:If there are 3 processes which are requesting for the same resource ,how to allocate resource to anyone for 3?
Me:Explained Cpu scheduling.
He:What is a abstract class?
Me:I read it in java so explanied fully .Abstract class is a class which have abstract functions.It just includes declaration of funtions and variables which are implemented by some other class.
He: Why we make abstract class?
Me:Explained.
He:why c++ is object oriented lanuage?
Me:Explanied the Encapusulation,Polymorphism,Inheritance.
He:You seem very comfortable in c++ and java.If you are given a lanuage about which you know nothing,What you will do?will you work then?
Me:I gave a logical answer.
He:can you relocate?
Me:yes sir.i can.
He:oh!! you worked on kannel(A open Source Wap and Sms gatewwy).What is it?
Me:Explained
He:which modem/phone you are using ?
Me:Nokia phone and Huawei modem.
He:what is the function of bearerbox and smsbox?
Me:Explanied.
He:Which sim you are using Gsm/Cdma?
Me:Gsm
He:Have you tried cdma?
Me:No sir.But i will.
I was shocked how he knew all the stuff regarding kannel.Then he told me he had also worked on kannel.He was eagerly listening my replies and i was answering all the questions with a smiling face and confidence.Never loose your confidence and eye contact is must.
He:Any quesion you want to ask?
Me:No sir .Thank you.
He:ok amrit .Thank you.
Me:Thank you very much sir.
                                                                             I came out with a smiling face.I was pretty sure and confident about the results.With in 15 mintues i got to know that i had cleared it.Now i had the HR interview.The interviewer was a madam.I entered in the room with a smiling face.
She:"toh app pathak ho ? pathak toh bharman hote hai na?"
Me:Yes mam.I am.
She:"amrit pal to sardaro ka name hota hai .fir apkka nam amrit kaise ?"
Me:I gave a funny reply.
It made me more comfortable.
She:She saw my cv and asked to tell about my hobbies.
Me:Playing football,blogging,reading novels.
She:Ok nice.Where you blog? and what you blog?
Me:Explained.
She:Asked about my post on social issues.
Me:Explained.
She:Why you opted diploma over 12th?
Me:Explained
She:why you changed your stream from Mechanical to Computer Science?
Me:Explained.
She:can you relocate?
Me:Yes .I can.
Then she told me about the job,2 year bond and other things about the job.
She:Any question you want to ask?
Me:Yes .I have to ask one thing.
Me:if someone gets select in TCS then what preparations one should do before joining?
She:Explained.
She:Anything else you want to ask?
Me:No.Thank you
She:Thank you amrit
Me:Thank you very much .
                                                                  I came out .I gave all the answer with full confidence .Again i was confident about the result because everything went well but still i was scared as everyone.Truely they are very nice people.The main purpose of HR interview is to check your communication skill,attitude,confidence.Keep smiling and eye contact is must.Be confident.Thats all.You will clear it easily.
Next day i got to know i have been selected .My happiness was on the peak.
Best of luck to all of you.
Still if you have any query,please ask me .Do not hesitate.Post a comment .I am eager to help and will be glad for the same.
Else Catch me on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/amritpalpathak

11 comments:

  1. hey myself ratinder
    one of your juniors in gndec doing my btech in electrical engg.
    as you have mentioned all the questions regarding your technical and they are all related to your branch cse...
    then how cum people like me can prepare for such an IT company when we have no relation with many of the stuff you have mentioned except the c++...
    i would be delighted if you solve this problem of mine...
    thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ratinder
    Do not worry.In your interview even they know better that you are from stream other than CSE and IT so they won't ask more questions about c,c++ and other programming stuff from you.They might just ask one or two questions.They need a talent so it doesn't matter if you are from branch other than CSE or IT.In interview most important things is your attitude,confidence.And be prepare about things you have mentioned in your resume.
    Thats all !!
    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hii
    congratss on ur selection !!!!!
    i am 1 of ur junior in gne pursuing ece.can u pls tell me what should be the aggregate marks 4 oll the yrs so that we r able 2 qualify 4 campus placement???
    also what do we mean by no active backlogs????

    ReplyDelete
  4. hii kate
    Thanx.Aggregate marks should be equal or above than 60%(Normally) but it may vary from company to company .No active backlog means right now you do not have reappear in any subject.It could be before but till the date company visit to college you should clear all the reappears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankz 4 clearing my doubts !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congt88s...Amrit

    May you plaese tell me about the type of questions you got in aptitude round?If you remember few kindly write it here?
    I am having TCS placement session on coming 18 Sept.How should i prepare from now?

    What topics i should concentrate most?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do mail a copy of your comment...


    robinraj@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanx Robin

    For the aptitude test i suggest to solve the TCS previous sample papers.Moreover take a look at R.S aggarwal.Mostly questions in aptitude test come from previous papers so solve more and more questions from previous papers.Definately it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you email me the question papers?
    I am really confused what to do... Mail
    me (robinraj@live.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Done.
    check your mail.Best of Luck...:))

    ReplyDelete